5 Common Problems That Make Students Struggle With Maths
Mathematics is one of the easiest and most interesting subjects but students really find it difficult. The disliking towards the subject can arise at any age and there can be a number of reasons for the same. It is necessary to understand the root cause as what makes mathematics a difficult thing for them. Once the cause is identified it becomes slightly easy to work out on the same and overcome the fear of the subject too.
But apart from disliking the subject there is lots more which can increase the difficulty for the students and it is the basics. Many times it happens that the basics of the students are not strong due to which they are unable to solve problems and this frustrates them. With time the frustration goes on increasing and eventually they start hating the subject. Also they do not find anything that interests them and that is why they are not ready to study the subject no matter what the reason is.
If the child is hating the subject, the very first thing to understand is the problem they are going through. Now there might be different kinds of problems being faced by the kids and therefore we have compiled a list of the 5 common issues that children come across while studying mathematics and this is when they struggle.
- Incomplete knowledge of the numbers – Basics are very important no matter what subject it is. Same is the case with mathematics where numbers play a very big role. If you do not have the knowledge about the numbers and the basic computation it becomes tricky for the kids to handle the same as they move from one grade to the other. Right from the early stage the kids are taught to memorize the numbers, tables, ways of doing basic computations etc. This helps in laying a strong foundation and with time kids find the subject to be interesting. But all this is possible when the foundation is good and for this you need to adopt innovative ways to learn mathematics. Only then the kid will love the subject and study it.
- Weak computations – Another reason as why kids struggle in mathematics is the lack of computing the problems correctly. Now one of the reasons can be the incorrect basics or even their failure to perform the functions like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. If they are unable to perform these simple functions it will be difficult for them to move ahead with such a weak background. So it becomes important that the kids are taught about the basic functions in detail and how to compute them properly. Once they grasp the knowledge it becomes easy for them to perform the complex computations as well and that too very easily. So focus on laying a strong foundation of computing the problems.
- Problem in connecting with the concepts – There are many students who know everything but are not able to connect it well due to which they face a number of issues. For example they might not know the use of the symbol or what does it imply. Similarly they may not be able to apply the concept when solving the problem or apply the wrong one. So these are some of the reasons which can lead to a struggle in the subject because when things don’t work out, kids get frustrated and stressed out. It is necessary to make them understand the concepts well before they get started with problem solving. Only then you can look forward to better results and their liking towards the subject.
- Language problem – Next can be the difficult in understanding the language of the problem which in turn takes them in the wrong direction. In order to compute the problem in the right way it is necessary that the language is understood but improper reading or missing the line can result in wrong computations. Interpretation needs to be correct and for this the kids need to read line by line to understand what the problem is about and how it needs to be dealt. Only then the right results are possible or else there will be some mistake and despite knowing everything the kids will lose marks. So proper reading and understand is what will lead to the correct answer.
- No or less practice – Mathematics is a subject which requires a lot of practice only then the concepts will be clear to you. But in case you do not practice or give less time to the subject there are chances that you will come across problems which only increase with time and when you move to the higher grades. Therefore regular practice is something that will make a big difference as everything will become clear to you and in case there are any doubts the same can be resolved. On the other hand if you do not practise you may get out of touch and then it will be really tough to get back on track. Therefore you need to make up your mind to practise every day and seek solution to all your doubts.
These are the 5 basic problems which the kids face and it is due to these issues only that they struggle in mathematics and end up disliking it. Therefore as parents and teachers it is necessary to make the subject interesting right from the beginning so that they love doing things with numbers. If they have interest they will automatically try to learn more and grasp it early too. So the right approach towards the subject is what sets the path and lays the foundation as well. It is also necessary to set the basics correct and make sure the child is fluent with it or else they can face difficulties at a later stage.
So if your child too is facing any of the above difficulties do try working on them and you will definitely benefit.
Amely Braun is a published author, world traveler, photographer and Math Tutor from Singapore. Passionate about what she does, her stories will transport you to another time and place.